"We are here on this planet only once and might as well get a feel for the place." -Annie Dillard

Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

Today is the ten year anniversary of 9/11 and for the past week that is all that has been on TV. Documentaries, news specials... magazines with images on the front covers.

Ten years ago today I had just started school. Veronique picked us up after school and she was saying something about an airplane - that was all I could understand. When we got home she turned on CNN for me and there it was. The first airplane had crashed into the tower, but everything else I watched happen in real time.

We have all been talking about that time and how we all gathered around the television for several days watching as everything unfolded. I remember that Friday our entire school went out into the courtyard to have a moment in silence. A kind gesture to everyone in the United States. I'm glad I was here in Belgium for that year, as I think I managed to miss a lot of craziness in my country that year, and it seems appropriate that I am here again for the ten year anniversary, because it was with my host family and friends here that I witnessed and went through all the emotions associated with that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment