"We are here on this planet only once and might as well get a feel for the place." -Annie Dillard

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

wrapping up Belgium (for now)

Just a little Belgian wrap up. (Although i will be returning briefly in November!)

What a great "10 year anniversary of my exchange to Belgium" trip. It was so great to re-connect with my family, fall right back into the every day living with them, to a point where it almost felt like I never left.

*highlights

- getting closer to Adele and Camille. Since leaving Belgium Apolline had been my major contact and she probably was the one that was a major factor in keeping my ties to the family. She visited Montana, wow, six?! years ago, so we have kept up correspondence. She had to work a lot while I was here this time, so I didn't get to see her as much, but it gave me an opportunity to spend time with others. When I was here last, Adele was only 8/9 and Camille 11, so coming back when they are more on my maturity level and realizing how well we get along has been a real highlight. Bicycle rides with Adele, playing pool with Camille. I really feel close to those two!

-traveling around with Antoine. He has been so great about going out and about with me. He is another one that I really connected with. We had some really great, insightful conversations that I will treasure.

- laughing around the table late evening with Paul and Veronique, sharing stories and sipping on wine. I have been really surprised at my ability to carry on a real conversation in French! I know that sounds silly, but I hadn't talked in French for so long (practically six years since my last French class!) that I didn't know what would happen! I feel like I was able to really talk with Veronique and Paul this trip and connect in ways that I couldn't when I was here last.

- realizing what a cool countryside place I lived in for a year and really appreciating its beauty!

- Seeing a few of my Belgian friends from school in Nivelles at the Inauguration of the Grand Place ! What a great 10 year reunion. And none of us had really changed; we all had the same haircuts, clothing styles and everything! And by the way, the best fireworks, light show, historical parade that took us through all the centuries of the town and town square(church)! (complete with blaring several Barbra Streisand songs after the show was over)

I leave you with some pictures~


bicycle rides through the country
wind turbines in the background
Everywhere in Belgium to comply with the
Kyoto Protocal


Adele and I frolicking through the farmland


homemade chocolate mousse that Adele and I made!
(Elly we must try to do this!)


Me, Camille, and Apolline
at Villers-en-Fete


Friends from Reves -
Stephanie, Marie, Me, and Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment