"We are here on this planet only once and might as well get a feel for the place." -Annie Dillard

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Mariangela

September 19/20
Mariangela, my host for two nights

Mariangela, my couchsurfing host for the nights of September 19 and 20 in Borgo San Lorenzo, just outside of Florence. What can I say about her? Staying with Mariangela was just a little out of my way. I had already seen most of Florence, but when I scheduled to stay with her I wasn't sure if I would be able to find a place to stay in actual Florence, so a half hour train ride into the country seemed okay. When I did end up finding places to stay in Florence, I decided to stay with her anyway, as I thought it would be a nice break, possible hiking in the countryside, or a nice way to take a day trip to Siena or San Gimignano.

This random side trip ended up being a real highlight of my trip so far. I am still thinking of her quiet, gentle demeanor, big smile, kind personality, eagerness to learn about different people and places, and her incredible hospitality.

I arrived at around 9:00 PM on Monday night, where Mariangela met me at the train station and walked me to her house, only about a 100 meters away. There, her son Simone had prepared a traditional Tuscan dinner for us - pasta with beans. (need to look up name in Italian) with fresh picked peaches for desert. We talked about what I was doing and where I was from, pulling out a map to show them Montana, Washington, and North Carolina, where I just finished studying. By that time - bed time!

The next day, both Simone and Mariangela went to work early, but I took my time getting up as it was a little rainy. It was nice to have the space to relax and take my time with the day. I then went out to explore the town, the countryside, and read in the park. I guess I could have taken a trip to Siena or San Gimingano, but I really savored having this nice, relaxing day.

The center of Borgo San Lorenzo

That night Mariangela took me to her family's country home to feed little kittens, out overlooking the valley and hills, with olive trees and fields. She talked about the work it took to maintain this place, as her mom is gone and dad getting too old to come enjoy it. She pondered over what to do with it and how she should probably sell it. I told her of the similar quandry my parents have with our place in Montana.

That night we had another great meal - a dish of fresh tomatoes and eggs (she didn't know what to call it other than that!) with meat slices afterwards and some desert wine. Dad, I am going to make you this with your tomatoes, you will love it! I then shared some of my music with her on a guitar she pulled out of the closet - it was so nice to get to play some music!

During dinner we started talking about languages and travel, and then Mariangela exclaimed. 'You are so lucky to have English as your mother tongue.' That is something I have thought a lot about on this trip. The priviledge we have as native English speakers to just be able to go anywhere and know that we will probably be able to get by as English is the middle language of communication for people all over. It is something I try not to take advantage of - and am really trying to communicate the best I can in the Italian I have and am learning!

Mariangela and me - in the kitchen learning
some new recipes!

Such a simple visit, yet it left a big impression on me and I was sad to leave her, Simone, and her home. Although, she has invited me back to take me to San Gimingano yet! As a parting gift, she gave me this little piece of embroidery that she made "to remember her by." And I will - her gentle and kind spirit that welcomed me into her home is an inspiration!

1 comment:

  1. HI Coty-- it's fun catching up on your blogs. And this story is especially sweet. Good people everywhere, eh? And how just getting out of town and getting some music and good conversation about the similarities of Home in different places can be so rejuvenating. It is a gift to have English as a mother tongue, eh? And to share the gift back in traveling and USING (Read as YOU-SING) it to build connections all around this globe. Your trip is wonderful to read about and I hope that you are safe and fulfilled and happy wherever you are out there in this world. xoxo Anni

    ReplyDelete